Although it is the end of festival season, Goose Island is putting on one final party this Friday and Saturday at their annual 312 Block Party!
The shindig will take place on the block outside the Fulton location and features both a kick ass lineup AND some of Chicago’s favorite food trucks and specialty beers. A $10 suggested entry donation per person will be donated to local organizations including the Mission Muscle Foundation, Open Books, Chicago Canine Rescue, and more.
312 Block Party Details:
- WHERE: 1800 W. Fulton Street – Entry gate 1 will be on the West side of Fulton St at Wolcott and entry gate 2 will be on the South side of Wood at Walnut.
- WHEN: Gates open at 5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 23 and 3 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24
- COST: Free admission with a suggested donation of $10 to go toward the following charities: Mission Muscle Foundation, Open Books and the Chicago Canine Rescue
- BEER: All beers are $3 – sizes vary and will include popular Goose Island beers such as 312 Urban Wheat Ale, Grand Prestige, Brasserie Blanc and specialty pours of Bourbon County Brand Stout.
- FOOD: Vendors include Girl & the Goat, Beat Kitchen, Happy Lobster, Wow Bao with more to be named soon!
- MUSIC: Animal Collective, The Record Company, Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaires, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Filthy Friends (Feat. members Sleater Kinney, R.E.M. and The Minus Five), Joey Purp, Califone, The Drastics, Low Down Brass Band, and more
Come on out and enjoy one last festival weekend in the sun!
Pitchfork is finally here! Apart from the killer lineups, one of my favorite things about Pitchfork is that Chicago’s own Goose Island has been getting in on the fun the past couple of years and brewed a special beer with an artist. 2017’s collaboration has them partnered with S U R V I V E, the synthwave duo you may recognize from the Stranger Things soundtrack. The band recently released their second LP in September and will be hitting the stage on Saturday night at Pitchfork.
Together, Goose Island and S U R V I V E brewed GI5-5538, a red Red Pale Ale. The beer was inspired by S U R V I V E’s home state of Texas and features hints of blood orange and grapefruit. If you’re confused about the seemingly coded name, GI5-5538, you’re not alone! However, the name is very telling:
- GI5 –> Goose Island’s 5th collaboration with Pitchfork
- 55 –> 5.5% ABV
- 38 –> the beer’s IBU rating (International Bitterness Units scale)
The name of the beer also matches the format of a record’s catalog number and S U R V I V E’s previous albums (Mnq026, HD009, and RR7349). According to Adam Jones of S U R V I V E,
“Teaming up with Goose Island to make our own beer for Pitchfork was fun. We’re stoked that GI5-5538 is the official beer at the festival, and we think our fans are going to like drinking it. I think it’s pretty damn good.”
GI5-5538 will be on draft at Pitchfork Festival, as well as select Chicago bars for a limited time, so make sure you get out and try it!
Goose Island and XRT team up again for the 3rd annual Urban Block Party on September 20th. Apart from being able to taste some tantalizing, rare Goose Island brews, they will have 2 stages set up for a day of great live music! Set to appear are The Breeders, Thao & The Get Down Stay Down, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, and Cayucas. For more information on the 312 Urban Block Party, click here.